New Teacher Institute
Start Time: All Day
Location: Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
THIS PROGRAM IS NOW FULL.
If you wish to be put on a waiting list, please email Joan Fargis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATES & TIMES FOR INSTITUTE (Times may vary slightly until final schedule is posted in June.)
Monday, July 23, 9:30 Registration, 10:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Tuesday, July 24, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday, July 25, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
(Tapestry Collection by Hilton)
1000 Virginia Center Parkway
Glen Allen, VA 23059
Find peacefulness and relaxation at the retreat-like setting with an extensive 20-acre green space in the Greater Richmond area.
MISSION OF THE INSTITUTE
The New Teacher Institute connects and inspires teachers newer to PK-12 independent education to:
WHAT PARTICIPANTS CAN EXPECT
- develop and sharpen their craft to be leaders in their educational settings
- understand the culture of independent schools
- cultivate a support network for continued growth and collaboration
An early career teacher’s time at the Institute will be used to develop practical skills for the start of the school year. The Institute will build teachers’ knowledge and confidence about the expectations of an independent school culture. This includes understanding the various roles of an independent school teacher, best teaching practices and how to cultivate relationships.
NEW!!! FIRST SEMESTER SUPPORT FOR 2018 NTI PARTICIPANTS
- Develop tools for teaching and learning in an independent school culture
- Construct a plan for the first six weeks of school
Consider how to cultivate an inclusive classroom community in support of your school’s mission
- Leverage parent involvement to facilitate student success
- Appreciate and know how to listen and speak to the perspectives of varied community members
- Learn to manage multiple responsibilities as an independent school teacher
We understand that the support early career teachers need is not necessarily possible in three days in the summer. They will have questions and some topics that lend themselves better to “just in time” learning. In that spirit, we will offer additional support through the date of the VAIS Annual Conference, Monday, October 29.
- Zoom meetings with topics pertinent to early career teachers
- “Just in time” learning opportunities for topics that will make more sense and/or stick better once the school year has started (i.e. report card writing, parents night presentations, etc.)
VAIS Leading Learning Conference 2018 - Monday, October 29
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- A track or series of sessions led by the Co-Directors specifically for NTI participants to connect, share, and ask questions that pertain to their experiences in the classroom from the start of school through November
- Discounted Conference Fee
with three or fewer years of teaching experience; also, an excellent
orientation for teachers who are transitioning from public to private
INTRODUCING THE INSTITUTE DIRECTORS
| Cheryl Gahagan
|| Carey Pohanka
St. Christopher's School
REGISTRATION FEES (Does NOT include lodging)
Includes all materials, meals, and ongoing support through November 2018
VAIS Members: $975
If you need overnight accommodations, they NOT included in your fee and you must make them directly with Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Tapestry Collection by Hilton. Virginia Crossings has a group rate for VAIS participants of $139 ++ per night. To make your reservation with Virginia Crossings, please use the link below. When making your reservations, there is no Group Code or Corporate Number so leave those spaces blank.
Please note, the entire URL must be copied and pasted for it to work properly - link is not active.
Booking Link: http://group.tapestrycollection.com/VirginiaAssocIndepSchools
Or you can also call 804-727-1400 or 888-444-6559 to secure reservations, and simply ask them for the VAIS (Virginia Association of Independent Schools) special group rate.
Reservations must be made by Tuesday, July 3.
Institute registration deadline is Monday, July 9. No refunds after that date. For the complete Cancellation Policy
http://tapestrycollection3.hilton.com/tc/virginia-crossings-hotel/Click here to register for the event