New Teacher Institute (NTI)
Start Time: All Day
Location: Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
DATES & TIMES FOR INSTITUTE (Times may vary slightly until final schedule is posted in June.)
Monday, July 29, 9:30 Registration, 10:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Tuesday, July 30, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday, July 31, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
(Tapestry Collection by Hilton)
1000 Virginia Center Parkway
Glen Allen, VA 23059
Find peacefulness and relaxation at the retreat-like setting with an extensive 20-acre green space in the Greater Richmond area.
MISSION OF THE INSTITUTE
The New Teacher Institute connects and inspires teachers newer to PK-12 independent education to:
WHAT PARTICIPANTS CAN EXPECT
- develop and sharpen their craft to be leaders in their educational settings
- understand the culture of independent schools
- cultivate a support network for continued growth and collaboration
An early career teacher’s time at the Institute will be used to develop practical skills for the start of the school year. The Institute will build teachers’ knowledge and confidence about the expectations of an independent school culture. This includes understanding the various roles of an independent school teacher, best teaching practices and how to cultivate relationships.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Develop tools for teaching and learning in an independent school culture
- Construct a plan for the first week of school
- Consider how to cultivate an inclusive classroom community in support of your school’s mission
- Leverage parent involvement to facilitate student success
- Appreciate and know how to listen and speak to the perspectives of varied community members
- Learn to manage multiple responsibilities as an independent school teacher
Teachers with three or fewer years of teaching experience; also, an excellent orientation for teachers who are transitioning from public to private schools.
THE INSTITUTE CO-DIRECTORS
| Cheryl Gahagan
|| Carey Pohanka
St. Christopher's School
REGISTRATION FEES (Does NOT include lodging)
Includes all materials, meals, and support
VAIS Members: $995
If you need overnight accommodations, they are NOT included in your fee and you must make them directly with Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Tapestry Collection by Hilton. Virginia Crossings has a group rate for VAIS participants of $142 ++ per night. To make your reservation with Virginia Crossings, please call 804-727-1400 or 888-444-6559 to secure reservations, and simply ask them for the VAIS (Virginia Association of Independent Schools) special group rate.
Or you may make your reservation online. Booking Link: http://group.tapestrycollection.com/VirginiaAssociationOfIndependentSchools Please note, the entire URL must be copied and pasted for it to work properly. There is no Group Code or Corporate Account.
Reservations must be made by Sunday, July 7.
Institute registration deadline is Monday, July 16. No refunds after that date. For the complete Cancellation Policy
https://tapestrycollection3.hilton.com/tc/virginia-crossings-hotel/Click here to register for the event