Mission / Philosophy / Objectives:
BROWNE ACADEMY is a diverse independent day school committed to developing the whole child through extraordinary teaching, exceptional academic programs, and a nurturing community. We empower students to be critical thinkers, inspired innovators, engaged peers, and ethical leaders prepared with the confidence to thrive in a dynamic world.
Browne Academy began as the first integrated school in Virginia. Today that spirit of inclusion endures, as our core values – excellence, diversity, character, and community – are an integral part of our school’s tapestry. By encouraging all members of our community to exemplify these values every day, we are building a foundation of empathy and respect that will serve our students throughout their lives.
We believe in providing our students with experiential learning opportunities that encourage thoughtful questioning, personal engagement, use of the greater community, and a deeper understanding of the world. Through our inquiry-based approach, we strive to foster our students’ natural curiosity and develop their lifelong love of learning.
We intentionally keep our class sizes small to nurture each child’s academic, social, and emotional growth. Students feel safe and cared for in such an environment, and as a result, we see them thrive. Our graduates are equipped both academically and personally to navigate life after Browne Academy with confidence.
We value and encourage the pursuit of one’s personal best in every endeavor within the Browne community.
We value and advocate for the richness of a multicultural community, composed of members with various perspectives and backgrounds, that fosters global awareness through mutual respect and understanding.
We value and honor each individual and seek to cultivate integrity, moral responsibility, service and citizenship.
We value and support the common interests and shared goals of our entire Browne family within a nurturing and safe environment.
School Fast Facts:
56% students of color
6:1 teacher to student ratio
38 faculty members
63% advanced degrees
13 average years teaching experience
At a Glance
• Our Campus: 11 acres, located 10 miles from Washington, D.C.
• Campus Features: Center for Athletics and Performing Arts, dedicated Innovation Center, swimming pool, basketball courts, athletic fields, four playgrounds, climbing wall, sustainable gardens and campus creek
• Extracurricular Offerings: Tae Kwon Do, pottery, Zumba, soccer, dance, engineering, music lessons, and much more
• Athletics: soccer, basketball, cross-country, ultimate Frisbee
• Technology: iPad program, MacBook program, Promethean boards and computers in every classroom
• Fine Arts and World Languages: art, choir, bands, string ensemble, handbells, musical theater, Spanish, French
Open House Dates: