The school empowers each student to achieve academic excellence, emphasizing the development of mind, body and character.
Ware Academy, founded in 1949, is a non-profit, non-denominational, co-educational independent day school for students in Pre-Kindergarten 3 through Eighth Grade.
The primary objectives are to educate the whole child to his or her fullest potential and for students to acquire a respect and a desire for learning in order to develop into independent, life-long learners in preparation for productive and fulfilled lives. The school embraces and appreciates that students possess individual styles.
A nurturing, loyal faculty dedicated to students’ individual needs and success provide the foundation for Ware’s program and environment. Teachers fulfill the school’s mission by supporting and challenging each student to meet his or her potential and to strive to be the best that he or she can be.
Guiding Principles for Ware Academy;
Proudly, we believe…
- in honor, trust and integrity.
- in a structured learning environment.
- all students possess an innate desire to learn.
- all students should have opportunities to satisfy their curiosity and to reach their academic potential.
- in mental and physical wellness.
- in mutual respect for individuals.
- in developing and enriching healthy relationships.
- in the importance of contributing to the community.
- in generosity and sharing.
- in making choices responsibly.
Students are selected on the basis of academic potential, without regard to race, color, religion or national or ethnic origin.
Hours of Operation:
- School Hours (7:55 – 3:30) Monday – Friday
- Office Hours (7:30 – 4:00) Monday – Friday
- Summer Hours (9:00 – 4:00) Monday – Thursday
- 125 Students
- Student/Teacher Ratio (12:1)
- Serving students from Gloucester, Mathews and Middlesex Counties
- Courses Offered: Language Arts, Mathematics (General Mathematics, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry), Science (General Science, Life Science, Earth Science, Physics/Chemistry), Social Studies (Social Studies, Civics/American History, Geography/World Conflict, Ancient Civilizations), Foreign Language (Spanish, Pre-Latin), Art, Computer Science, Dance, Health/Physical Education/Athletics, Library Science/Media, Music
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS), Virginia Council of Private Education (VCPE), Education Records Bureau (ERB), Secondary Schools Admission Test Board (SSATB), National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- Fall Sports (Soccer, Volleyball, Cross-Country, Golf), Winter Sports (Boys and Girls Basketball), Spring Sports (Boys and Girls Lacrosse)
- League Affiliation – Independent School Athletic Conference (ISAC)
Secondary School Matriculation:
- Christchurch School, Hampton Roads Academy, Walsingham Academy, Baylor School (TN), Chatham Hall School, Episcopal High School, Fork Union Military Academy, Georgetown Prep School (MD), Mercersburg Academy (PA), Miss Porters School (CT), Out-of-Door Academy (FL), Putney School (VT), Saint Margaret’s School, Saint Mary’s School (NC), Woodberry Forest School, Gloucester County Public Schools, Mathews County Public Schools, Middlesex County Public Schools, West Point High School
- 21 acre campus
- 2 classroom buildings, 16 classrooms, library/media center, science lab, computer lab, art room, music room, 4 athletic fields, 1 multi-purpose athletic gym, cross-country running trail