Woodberry Forest School is an all-boarding community in central Virginia. Thousands of families have trusted Woodberry Forest with their boys in grades 9 through 12 over the years. We have honored that trust through our approach to an academically rigorous education, blending traditional values with the latest knowledge about how boys mature intellectually, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Every boy at Woodberry is chosen for his potential to grow as a future leader. Our students come to us from across the country and around the globe, gaining the cultural fluency they will need as successful adults. From boys of promise to men of honor — that is the Woodberry Way.
Central to the Woodberry Way is the boarding experience. Our residential character extends far beyond our 1200-acre campus. It influences every aspect of life, fostering common experiences in our dorms, on our athletic fields, and during whole-campus meals and Sunday-evening chapel services. Our teachers live with their families on campus, participating fully in the boys’ lives.
The Woodberry Way includes a commitment to single-sex education. Free from the distractions of a coeducational setting, a Woodberry boy gains the confidence to attempt new things — sports, artistic endeavors, a school play. He does not see himself as girls see him. Instead, he learns to see the man he is becoming.
Nothing embodies the Woodberry Way like our student-written honor system. Established in 1899, it upholds Woodberry as a community of trust where everyone is safe, supported, and treated with respect.
Our alumni are among the most supportive and deeply involved independent-school graduates in the country. As our boys move on to college and beyond, a built-in network of Woodberry men is ready to lend them a hand.
Visit us, and you will see why Woodberry Forest is one of the leading boarding schools in the nation. Meet with a member of our admissions staff. Tour our campus with a student guide. Check out our dorms and athletic facilities, and you will begin to understand the Woodberry Way.
- 395 students are members of our all-boy, all-boarding community
- Our students come from 25 states, the District of Columbia, and 19 other countries
- Our student body includes 48 students of color and 43 international students
- Woodberry Forest is situated on a beautiful 1200-acre campus
- The campus is located about 90 minutes from Washington, D.C., and within easy driving distance of Charlottesville and Richmond
- 55 of Woodberry's 61 teaching faculty members live on campus
- 54% of our faculty hold advanced degrees, including 7 doctorates
- Woodberry requires a minimum of 20 credits for graduation
- We offer a wide range of elective courses, including Money and Banking, Comedy, Digital Film, Old Testament and Contemporary Culture, Seminar in Advanced Mathematics, and The Sixties, among many others
- Woodberry Forest offers teams for players of all levels in 16 sports
- Many boys play a different sport each trimester
- Woodberry offers a rich variety of fine arts options in music, drama, and visual arts
- Boys can choose to take private vocal or instrumental lessons from top-notch musicians
Clubs and Activities
- Woodberry students can participate in more than 30 clubs and activities ranging from Biodiesel Club, Laughing Tigers (comedy), Rod and Gun Club, and Science Olympiad, to Woodberry Christian Fellowship and student publications the Oracle, Fir Tree, and Talon
- Our summer study programs take boys to Central America, China, England, Scotland, and Spain, as well as a trimester study-abroad program in South Africa
- Need-based financial aid is available for these programs
- $53,500 for the 2016-17 academic year
- 31% of our families receive financial aid; the average grant is $36,000
Endowment and Annual Fund Giving
- Woodberry's endowment is $282 million (as of June 30, 2016)
- Gifts to Amici, Woodberry's annual fund, totaled $3.2 million during the 2015-2016 fiscal year