A school making an application for membership will be asked to provide evidence of meeting the following criteria:
- A clearly stated mission and philosophy
- Non-discriminatory policies and practices in admissions, employment and all other aspects of school operation as provided by law
- Incorporation as a not-for-profit and tax-exempt organization under IRS ruling
- Governance by an independent Board of Trustees
- An academic program spanning at least three successive grades
- Academic integrity: i.e., academic freedom, freedom of promoting diversity in teaching approaches and curricular choices, and freedom from restricting teachers to any single dogma
- Operating experience of at least five consecutive years
- Willingness to aspire to the Principles of Good Practice of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and a willingness to meet the accrediting Standards of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
Before proceeding, please review the Definition of Independence used by VAIS, as well as, the Overview of Accreditation.
If your school meets these criteria you may proceed with the application process. Click here to be taken to the Online Application.