Virginia’s best independent schools engage in the deliberative, reflective, and continuous VAIS accreditation process. Membership is offered only to those schools accredited by VAIS.
Benefits of Membership
- Rigorous and proven accreditation process
- Personalized professional staff support for individual schools
- Professional development offerings that are grounded in best practice and responsive to current and future needs of independent schools
- Prominent representation and recognition at the national level
- Legislative representation that safeguards independence of member schools
- Networking opportunities within a broad range of independent schools
Expectations for Membership
- File annual statistical reports with VAIS
- Pay annual dues to VAIS (Candidate Schools pay dues upon acceptance as a candidate.)
- Be represented at the annual business meetings
- Provide personnel to serve on evaluation teams for accreditation and other Association committees
- Support professional development opportunities offered by VAIS
Recognition of VAIS Accreditation
- The Virginia State Board of Education recognizes VAIS accreditation through approval by the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE).
- Guarantees the transfer of student credits to a public school
- Recognizes teacher licensure credits for time served in an accredited independent school
- Approves VAIS as an accrediting body of independent schools for university and college admissions
- The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recognizes VAIS accreditation through approval by the NAIS Commission on Accreditation, which is comprised of state, regional, and international accrediting associations. By virtue of our membership on the NAIS Commission on Accreditation, VAIS accredited schools are recognized by the Student Exchange Visitors Program.
- The College Board recognizes VAIS as an accrediting body for secondary schools located in Virginia.